4. a) Recall a time you witnessed someone being punished and the circumstances of the offence. How did the incident affect you and your understanding of the purpose of punishment?
I still remember clearly. “School rules are to be obeyed. Break any and you will be punished. Be persistent, and you will be punished with much severity. That would only be just.” It was said by my primary school principal.
One particular incident that had occurred when I was eleven years old brings the memory of this warning clearly back to me.
Back then, I was new to my appointment as Junior Head Prefect. With great power comes great responsibility, and so I had to live up to the expectations of such an honour. And among the many things I had to do was to ensure that students abide to the school rules.
One day, during recess break, the school was amok with students running towards the canteen. I was stationed there for my duty to make sure students were not cutting queues. At that moment, Ramzi, the notorious school bully, was in the canteen queuing. Being a rowdy, not surprisingly, he pushed some students out of the snaking long queue and snarled at anyone who opposed him. I was outraged.
I knew I had to do something as a prefect. I approached him and advised him politely to move out of the queue. That was enough to trigger his fury because right after I finished my sentence, he shoved me aside.
“Think you’re so big huh? Junior Head Prefect, think you can threaten me!” he shouted angrily. Then he started throwing punches at me. Instinctively, I dodged them. However, he kept on with his taunts and punches. Just when he was about to give me a hard low-kick, the Discipline Master, Mr. Lee arrived.
“Ramzi! Izhar!” he bellowed. Both of us stopped in our tracks. I quickly adjusted my tie and explained the situation to him. Ramzi was scolded while I was brought to the sick bay because of the bruises I had received. I did not what happened to Ramzi after I left.
The following morning, during assembly, Ramzi was to be given a public caning in the hall. I stood on stage with him. Before us, a sea of faces sat with eyes peeled on what was to unfold. It was quiet. No one made a sound. Mr. Lee cracked his cane, and, in a firm, cold voice, told Ramzi to bend forward. Following the order was a sharp “zap” sound. Ramzi gritted his teeth in pain. Then came another swift crack. Finally, the principal addressed the school on the importance of obeying school rules. Bullying would not be tolerated.
Standing and watching on stage at that time, I felt it was appropriate that Ramzi be caned. Imagine my remorse when after I had graduated, I learnt that Ramzi was from a broken family.He was regularly abused at home. I understood too late the reason behind his rowdy behaviour. Looking back at this incident, I regret that the past cannot be undone. I can only question now whether the punishment had indeed been just?
498 words

No comments:
Post a Comment